!! The April 16 Budget Vote and Trustee Election is Postponed !!
Election Day: April 16 from 9:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. at the Florida Public Library
Push this button to go to the New York State Board of Elections Voter Registration page. There you will find options for registration including online and printed registration forms. It is also possible to register at the Florida Union Free School District offices up until April 1 at 3 p.m., which allows you to vote only in School District elections, including the Florida Public Library vote.
Push this button to open up an Application for an Absentee Ballot that you can print, fill out and bring to the library. Please note deadlines in the timeline below.
FPL Timeline for 2020 Annual Vote & Trustee Election
Monday, March 2, 7:30 p.m.
- Special Information Meeting on the 2020-2021 proposed Library Budget.
Wednesday, March 4, 10:00 a.m.
- Petitions for Trustee candidates to get on the April 16 ballot are available at FPL. (25 signatures are required to secure a place on the ballot. Candidates are advised to get extra signatures in case some are not accepted.)
- Applications for Absentee Ballots will be available. Note: Absentee Ballots will be mailed to all voters regularly receiving them
per Orange County Board of Elections’ list.
Friday, March 20, 5:00 p.m.
- Petitions for Trustee candidates must be returned to FPL by this deadline. Ballot positions of candidates will be drawn on Friday, March 20 at 5 p.m. by the Election Clerk.
Thursday, March 26, 5:00 p.m.
- Candidates submit completed Questionnaire to the Library by this date.
Wednesday, April 1, 3:00 p.m.
- Voters who wish to register at Florida Union Free School District must do so by 3 p.m.
Thursday, April 9, 8:00 p.m.
- Deadline to submit an application for an Absentee Ballot if the Ballot is to be mailed to the voter.
Wednesday, April 15, 5:00 p.m.
- Deadline to submit an application for an Absentee Ballot if the Ballot is to be obtained personally by the voter.
Thursday, April 16
- Election Day at the Library. Polls open at 9 a.m.
- Absentee Ballots must be received by 5 p.m.
- Polls close at 9 p.m.
- Paper ballots are counted by election inspectors.
- Winning candidate(s) will be notified by the FPL Election Clerk.
February 26 and 28, 2020 – Press Release on Florida Public Library 2020 Annual Vote & Trustee Election.
The Florida Public Library’s annual budget vote and trustee election will be held on Thursday, April 16, 2020 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. in the library at 4 Cohen Circle, Florida. The library is a school district public library, sharing the same geographical boundaries as the Florida Union Free School district.
Included on the ballot will be a proposition for the library’s operating budget and the election of two trustees for terms commencing July 1. The terms are for three years and the open seats are those of incumbents Nancy Scott and Kevin Lundell. The 2020-2021 proposed tax levy for voters’ approval is $486,058 which represents an increase of $13,600 over the current year. Copies of the budget are available in the library and a special information meeting on the budget will be held on Monday, March 2 at 7:30 p.m.
Petitions for candidates interested in placing their names on the ballot will be available at the library on Wednesday, March 4 and must be returned by 5 p.m. on March 20. Qualified candidates must be 18 years of age and residents of the Florida school district. For more information on the volunteer position of the trustee, please contact director Madelyn Folino or consult the Handbook for Library Trustees of New York State which can be found in the library’s reference collection.
Voter registration forms are available in the library now and absentee ballot applications will be available on March 23. Eligible voters must be registered either with the school or with the county Board of Elections for the general election. For more information on the vote, visit the library any time, call 651-7659, or visit www.floridapubliclibrary.org. Library hours are: 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. Monday – Thursday; 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday; 12 noon – 5 p.m. on Sunday.